Echo Link for newbies

KS6DAY

There was some talk on the repeater a few nights ago regarding Echo Link and how to connect. Having never looked into it I was more than a bit confused by the explanations I was getting. Specifically, I was wondering how an analog radio connected to the internet and what interfaces were required. As it turns out there is no radio involved at all to transmit. Your IPhone, or computer, is your radio. Very slick and something I will be experimenting with next time I go out of town.

Here is a very straight forward easy to understand video for other confused radio operators, like myself.

KS6DAY

Having just posted this I should also add that I am unable to connect to our repeater via Echo Link yet. I have the app on my phone and I am connected to WA6BAI-R Node 152747. However, I've got no signal on send or receive. Am I missing a step?

KC6YRU

Having just posted this I should also add that I am unable to connect to our repeater via Echo Link yet. I have the app on my phone and I am connected to WA6BAI-R Node 152747. However, I've got no signal on send or receive. Am I missing a step?
Just downloaded Echolink tonight, and having the same issue. Connection is made, but no receive or transmit audio.

KM6IOE Calvin

You will figure it out soon enough and it is a good tool to have in the box. My issue is that I know you can access a local repeater when out of town using a HT and connect to echolink as long as that repeater has echolink capability thin press the numbers on the key pad that will connect you to our local repeater and your in! But I haven't figured out that part.

AH2AP

Technology Enthusiast
My issue is that I know you can access a local repeater when out of town using a HT and connect to echolink as long as that repeater has echolink capability thin press the numbers on the key pad that will connect you to our local repeater and your in! But I haven't figured out that part.
Not every echolink repeater setup is the same. The procedure for dialing out can change from one system to the next.

The best, and arguably the most successful method to dial out of a unfamiliar remote system is to make contact with a local who is familiar with their procedure for use of echolink on that particular system.

If you don't know how to dial out of a system, I wouldn't recommend the trial by error method as some folks have all kinds of things tied in to their system in addition to echolink like, IRLP, digital hotspots, allstar, phone patch etc.. You could potentially cause havoc and bring things to a halt if you don't know what you're doing.

KS6DAY

Using the Iphone app I got through successfully on the Echotest server. But no joy still on the club repeater.

AH2AP

Technology Enthusiast
Ok. I tested my echolink app and was able to make contact on other nodes before testing the wa6bai link.

Our link doesnt appear to transmit or receive audio from the echolink network despite it accepting a connection.

So our link radio is where our setup is having issues.

It is not your echolink app on your phone, @KS6DAY , as far as I can tell considering I too was unable to get audio from or to our repeater through echolink.

KM6IOE Calvin

Are you able to hear yourself when using ECHOTEST server?
No Sean nothing can be heard not transmit or received. It is our local repeater that's not working correctly right now.as far as with Echolink I am able to connect to others with no problems.