Where to get antenna hardware?

Mr.C

Hi, where around Visalia can one find antenna poles and related mounting hardware? I'm not looking for a tower. But poles and mounting hardware. Like what Radio Shack would sell for TV antennas. I have a MLA-30, A discone and soon a GMRS antenna I need to get a permanent mount for. TIA

Last edited:

W6RAY

Ray Quinn W6RAY - 2020 - 2024 TCARC President
Staff member
Club Member
Elected Director
Just a suggestion: I have purchased such items at my local hardware store. In my case, the North Visalia Lowe's. You can find poles used for chain link fencing as well as U-bolts and various hardware. I believe a top rail is about 20' long. I am sure there is a hardware store relatively close to you.

Mr.C

Thanks Ray, I'll look at fence poles. I'm about mid point between the two Lowe's. I remember getting antenna poles years ago. About 1 1/4 in dia., one end crimped down so you could stack them. Guy wire rings and hardware etc. at Radio Shack and some hardware stores. Non existent now.

I bought 3 top rail poles at lowes. They were 10.5’ tall. Then bought a clamp to go around the poles for guy wires. Then bought a scrap 2x4 to act as a stand-off. Then a v bracket I mounted on the underside of the 2x4 then paracord to haul my G5RV JR up to that 31’. I only have wire antennas at this time. If you’d like some help let me know. My number is 661-203-0136. I’m in Visalia.

Mr.C

Thanks Will, Looks like rail poles are the new de facto antenna poles. I appreciate the offer to help. I'll see how it goes. I'm mounting an MLA-30 and a discone for SWL and monitoring. Then I want to get a GMRS antenna up later. I'll try to get out to Lowes this week and start collecting everything I need. I have a rotator I'm going to use with the MLA-30 as it's directional. The fascia boards on my roof are at an angle so I have to cut the standoff at about a 30 degree angle.

K6USY

I used Unistrut from Home Depot to mount masts to the side of my house. Granted I already had 4 5ft masts sections from years ago, no idea where I would get more masts of this kind if I needed them.

Pictures of my install: Mast Install – K6USY