SSTV on Simplex

AE7TE

I wonder.

SSTV and other digital signals are basically audio files modulated onto RF. Normally it's done with a computer.

In the case of SSTV, could we simply record audio of an image signal and then exchange images over Simplex? It doesn't have to be limited to QSL cards. For example you could send a map showing an earthquake epicenter over Simplex (or even the repeater if you felt froggy enough).

Digital could be done over VHF if you actually wanted to sit with a laptop and run a radio. I'm just thinking of how it could be done without having to be plugged into a computer. I used to record audio files from my satellite transmissions so it shouldn't be ridiculous.

Ed AE7TE

AH2AP

Technology Enthusiast
Wouldn't the app technically be running on a computer of some sort?

I mean I get that you can just record audio, just not sure how to convert it to something useful without some sort of computer.

AE7TE

You'd need a PC or some kind of app to decode the SSTV. My intent is that you don't need to have the PC hardwired into the radio system. I think you get what I'm talking about.

AH2AP

Technology Enthusiast
Yeah totally!

I seem to remember doing this. Playing back audio from a speaker and using a mic from the PC to hear it to decode it.

I remember feeling like we legally broke the data transfer limit by encoding a large file in the image.